Swim with the Fishes
SWIM WITH SHARKS FLORIDA, EELS AND "THE FISHES"
Take the "Swim with the Fishes" plunge
Snorkel in our 33,500-gallon aquarium at RumFish Grill during TradeWinds’ unique “Swim with the Fishes” experience, a unique plunge in the very tank that Animal Planet’s hit-show Tanked built. Swim with more than 200 fish representing 31 species, including a green moray eel! Hang in the tank with grouper, tarpon, snook and many other Florida indigenous species!
Know Before You Go:
We ask that guests please read the FAQ section of this page. The guidelines are important for the safety of our fish and guests. For instance, swimmers cannot wear lotion, makeup or jewelry during their swim, and there are age requirements and other important check-in guidelines, so please review this entire page before your arrival.
Swim with the Fishes know-before-you-go FAQs
- Cost, advance payment and cancellations: The Swim with the Fishes experience costs $35 per participant, plus tax, and requires advance payment. No-shows will not be refunded or rescheduled. Participants can cancel or change reservations without penalty at least 24 hours prior to their start time. To make changes, call 727.329.1433.
- Age restrictions and program availability: The program is open to ages 8 and up. (Children 8 to 12 must have a parent or guardian participating in the program.)
- Inclusions: The experience includes a behind-the-scenes tour of aquarium operations, an educational session about the animals and conservation and a 10-minute immersion with all necessary equipment provided.
- Space limitations: A maximum of four swimmers are allowed in the tank at a time, so space is limited and subject to availability. Participants are divided into four groups and given 10 minutes to swim. Guests must allow for 1 ½ hours total as group times are randomly selected. Walkup registration is available; however, pre-register is encouraged since space is limited.
- Go time: Swims are slotted for Tuesday-Sunday at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Prep time: Guests must report to RumFish Grill’s retail store at least 30 minutes before their scheduled experience or the reservation is forfeited.
- Guy Harvey Outpost cancellations: In the best interest of the health and safety of our animals and aquarium, Guy Harvey Outpost reserves the right to cancel immersion experiences at any time. If purchased online, guests can call 727.329.1433 for a refund.
What to Bring
- A towel
- All participants must wear shorts or swim trunks
- Ladies may wear bathing suit tops but again shorts must be worn
- An underwater, waterproof camera (a wrist strap or float attachment is required)
- A sense of adventure
What NOT to Bring
- No jewelry of any kind is permitted in the tank
- To prevent tank contamination, guests cannot bring their own equipment
- Wet suits are not permitted in the tank; however, if you have a medical condition that dictates thermal protection, special arrangements can be made
- No food or drink is allowed in the exhibit area
- Please! No lotion, sunscreen, perfume, deodorant, makeup or hair products
- Guests are not allowed to consume alcohol before the experience
- Swimming guidelines: All participants must stay on the surface of the water at all times. Snorkel vests are required and prevent participants from descending below the surface. For swimmer safety, we ask that swimmers not touch or feed the animals.
- Certified lifeguards: This program is operated with the highest standard of recreational diving activities. Open-water lifeguards are on hand and are trained in CPR, first aid and emergency oxygen administration. Guests do not need any previous training certification, but we require that all participants be comfortable in the water and have some experience using a snorkel.
- Other safety details: All participants must sign a waiver prior to the swim. If you or anyone in your party has special needs please inform us as soon as possible to learn what accommodations are available.
MORE HELPFUL FAQs
Where do we meet?
All participants should go to RumFish Grill and check in at the retail store reception desk at least 30 minutes prior to the start time. After ensuring all paperwork is complete, Captain Tim will review all the policies and procedures. Our resident captain will then educate participants on the program and some of our conservation efforts. You will be escorted to the exhibit and given a behind-the-scenes tour of the facility before being split into four groups to begin the immersion.
How warm is the tank?
The aquarium is 70-76 degrees Fahrenheit.
How deep is the aquarium?
The aquarium is 13 feet deep, filled with artificial seawater.
What happens if I lose something in the tank?
RumFish Grill and the Swim with the Fishes program are not responsible for any valuables lost in the tank. Recovery or replacement of items will not be accommodated. Camera must have a strap or float attachment if you intend to bring it in the water.